Monday, August 23, 2010

The Grouchy Ladybug

We've been reading a few books from the library lately and one of them is "The Grouchy Ladybug" by Eric Carle.  We read both the English and Spanish version, "La Mariquita Malhumorada".  So I decided to use another used carton from the bottom of a frozen pizza to make a ladybug.


MD had fun making it even though a was process that took a couple of days to finish.  Not that it was complicated, it's just we needed time for the layers of paint to dry and by the time the paint was dry I was busy with something else around the house.



I found another spare piece of carton in the garage to cut out the shape of the body to paint black.


But we ran into a problem.  I had never ever realized that we don't have any black tempera paint in the house.  So we improvised.  I use to work with oil paints and always made black by combining blue and brown.  So I tried it with tempera paints.  That made a dark grey color, to which I added black food color, and there you have it.  Black paint!


On the last day, MD glued black construction paper dots to the bugs wings, and I stapled it all together, adding small pipe cleaner antennae and googly eyes.  I also grabbed a piece of chalk to draw in a mouth and asked MD if we wanted me to add a grouchy mouth or a happy mouth.  He chose happy.


4 comments:

  1. Oh, that turned out awesome!! Well done MD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute blog! I'll be back often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Really enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea using the bottom of the frozen pizza cardboard!! I will be giving that a try for more art projects!! Thanks Kerri

    ReplyDelete